Are you looking for a way to supplement your education at Georgia Tech with a deeper understanding of the fine arts? Do you want something that tells others “I’m an engineer, but I can play music with the best of them too”? Then our Certificate of Fine Arts might be just the thing for you!
What is a Certificate of Fine Arts, exactly?
The Certificate of Fine Arts is a program is made up of thirteen hours of coursework as approved by the School of Music’s chair. You can expect to receive an introduction to fine arts – you will develop a series of personal aesthetic and critical skills, and undertake an in-depth study into music analysis and history. You will also be required to participate in one of our instrumental or vocal ensembles as part of your studies.
What classes do I take?
Refer to the list below for specific classes:
Required courses (eleven credit hours):
- Three hours of Survey of Music Technology (MUSI 3450)
- Two hours of Composers and Their Music
- Two hours of Music Theory (MUSI 2600, 3600)
- Four hours core from one of the following areas:
- Band (Concert Band-MUSI 1102-3, 2102-3, 3102-3, 4102-3) and/or Symphonic Band (1112-4, 2112-4, 3112-4, 4112-4)
- Chamber Ensemble (MUSI 1401-3, 2401-3, 3401-3, 4401-3)
- Chorale (MUSI 1201-3, 2201-3, 3201-3, 4201-3)
- Jazz (MUSI 1301-3, 2301-3, 3301-3, 4301-3)
- Orchestra (MUSI 1601-3, 2601-3, 3601-3, 4601-3)
- Vocal Ensemble (MUSI 1211-3, 2211-3, 3211-3, 4211-3)
Elective courses (two credit hours):
- Two hours of elective music courses with MUSI prefix.
Are there any other guidelines my classes should follow?
At least nine of the credit hours you take for the Certificate must be at the 3000 level or higher. At least nine hours must be at the 3000 level or higher. All other Undergraduate Certificate Academic Requirements as they appear in the Undergraduate Certificate Program Guidelines must be met. Courses must be taken on a letter-grade basis, and a C or better must be received in order to obtain course credit toward the Certificate.
To get started toward your Certificate, contact Corissa James at Corissa.firstname.lastname@example.org.